If you only read one thing: Oscar-Nominated Director Benh Zeitlin on Not Waiting for Permission:
There is no one single more important piece of advice than not waiting for permission to start doing the things you want to do with your time and energy. Being able to do anything it takes and give up anything in the way of your goal is a close second:
I think the most important thing is just to do what you want to do. A lot of times you get derailed from making movies when you are trying to support yourself or you're not doing the things you want to do with your day.
When I was in New York and I couldn't support myself doing exactly what I wanted to do, I moved. I went somewhere where I could squat till I could figure out how to make what I wanted to make. So that always came first. So I just think prioritizing. If you have to do something you don't want to do all day long, you won't have the emotional energy to create stuff.
Husting & Insights:
- Speaking of doing what you love, Colin from Exile Lifestyle is up in Montana working on a publishing business. This week he's covering fears, intuition and how to sort it all out.
I’m not saying you should ignore your instincts and jump into a pit of hungry lions. I am saying you should question your instincts and make sure amore primal part of your brain — shaped by genetics and your upbringing and biases — isn’t leading you astray and keeping you from living your life for fear of what could go wrong.
I'm no stranger to the "go live somewhere cheap and get work done" phenomenon. Good to know I'm not the only person who chooses Montana for that purpose...Don't be AFRAID OF FEAR.
- I also like this post from self-employed Jess Lively: WHAT IS THE LESSON IN THIS CAREER. It's about being in a less-than-optimal situation and recognizing what you are able to influence and change. And letting go of what you cannot.
Sex & Love
- Love letters!! Reading love and break-up letters always feels like spying on the most emotional moments of other people's lives. Brainpickings picked-up an older one of Jezebel founder Anna Holmes' books (HELL HATH NO FURY: Women's Letters from the End of the Affair. #omg!) and the article DEAR JOHN -- with extra coverage not found in the book -- is worth a read, especially for the romantics and voyeurs (ahem, you).
Style, Creative, & Personal
Here: Last week was a big week for me. I made some decisions about the purpose of this blog, it's place in my larger career, and as usual, a few jokes:
- A NOTE ON ADVERTISING, AUDIENCE, & CONTENT CREATION: No advertising on this site means that I get to keep greater creative control and be more selective with future partnerships. Even if it's a short-term financial hit, I think it's worth it.
- I AM #NAKEDINPUBLIC: Where I come to terms with the "fact" that I am an actress playing a comedian playing a med school dropout. (My parents are so proud!). I've just been method for 29 years....I'm joking. Mostly. You can read the ninth installment and decide for yourselves. You can catch the rest of them here.
- THE FIRST DRAFT OF ANYTHING IS SHIT: I am coming out of the closet. As a writer.
- I also instruct you on HOW TO GROW A BUSH and CHANGE YOUR NAME. It's a story about unconditional love and pubic hair. Kinda.
Anyway, xoxo. @JessaBrookman.
Now, the songs of the week
Kaytranada - All We do feat. JMSN
And some James Blake - Retrograde (because Mercury is in it. And I feel weird):